Wednesday, 28 September 2011

A quilty puzzle

Morning everyone!  Well we are having a late summer here in Newmilns today.  The sky is blue, my washing is out and it is just lovely.  Nothing like a bit of sunshine to brighten your mood and day!

Here is that patchwork puzzle I promised, devised by my friend and maths teacher Mr Chris Smith.  I hope you have a go!  I did but am no good at maths at all, which makes me wonder why I am a quilter!


SOLUTION 


THIS WEEK’s PUZZLE: My friend Collette makes some great quilts. One I like has 16 patches. Here is a plan, in no way to scale, of the quilt. I’ll repeat: the plan is not to scale...in fact, none of the patches are square and neither is the finished quilt! They are all rectangles. The area of seven of the patches is written in the square which represents it.
What is the area of each patch?




40
16

32
72

30

12
24

54
15

6
12
27
35
14

28
63


2 comments:

  1. I should give this to my best friend! She is a math genius!

    :) dina from
    Thesenotions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog whilst out blog-hopping and couldn't resist your puzzle.

    My answers are - starting on the top row going left to right: 16, 72, 24, 15, 12, 27, 35, 14, 63.

    The full quilt is 20 wide by 24 high.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!