Monday, 24 October 2011

Do you floss?

Happy Monday everyone!! What a week I have had.  The kids have been off on their October break from school and nursery resulting in lots of mess, fights, and cuddle sessions on the couch with mum!

I haven't got much sewing done as a result.  No FMQ with Cindy and the gang this week for me :(( I just don't trust myself with two kids running around a crazy free motion quilting mum on the sewing machine!

So I got out the embroidery floss and opted for a gentler, more soothing way to stitch but watch the kiddos at the same time!

photo taken at night with flash hence mega brightness!



So I wanted to try a little Christmas decoration but didn't want to copy one straight from the Doodle stitching book.  So I designed my own little snowflake and opted for some bright floss.

I used a "split stitch" and straight stitch for this little piece and a blanket stitch round the edge( I need to practise those!).

I do have to say that I have fallen in love with embroidery and the book has totally demystified the process to me!  Last night I tried embroidering the names of some kids for some stockings I have a wee order for.  They are looking great and are not hard at all.  You just have to take your time and be patient and neat.

I am sure I will be using lots more embroidery in the quilts I produce from now on!
This little decoration has been claimed for our Christmas tree already by the kids!
Collette xxxxx

8 comments:

  1. Love your snowflake Colette - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love snowflakes - you have patience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Great embroidery, made even greater knowing you had kids running around while stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! It's nice sometimes to sit with everyone else and still be creative, rather than being squirreled away at a machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Colette, you're right, that Doodle Stitching book is wonderful! Good job on making your own design! It's very nice.

    p.s. thanks for stopping by Quilties again, I appreciate your comments! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute!! I love snowflakes and this is adorable - those kids have good taste!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!