Friday, 14 October 2011

Free Motion Friday

Well on Wednesday night I thought I better brave the darning foot and try more free motion quilting. I am linking up with Cindy and friends over at Fluffy Sheep Quilting for these tutorials and practice sessions.   After my wave disaster I was keen to give drop art a go.  I learnt a few things.....................


  • I need lots of thread! 

  • I have a tendency to get carried away so need to try to go a little slower however, this is when my stitch size gets bad!
  • I enjoy curves!  I have a bad habit of making things kind of squint!

  • Practice, practice, practice little and often I think to save my shoulders and back!
So here are my efforts this week.  I can't remember which is front and back and the green is my first attempt and black my second attempt ( which I think is worse).  I used the contrasting colours so the quilting shows up. 



Now something beautiful to look at!
Unique TREE felt flower brooch with freeform hand embroidery
Gorgeous brooches in this lady's wonderful etsy shop! I fell in love with everything! x

12 comments:

  1. Funnily enough my first go this week also went really well and my second was no-where near as good! Ive always said you mustn't try too hard at fmq or it wont flow. You've got a great stich length on no1 and they're really nicely defined :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are making good progress - only a few wobbles ! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finding it so hard to get the right speed. Always too fast or so slow I stop!! I think the first one looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good try, I do find it easier to go a bit faster, rather than slow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the black is brilliant - the mad bit in the middle of the green made me smile!!

    The brooch is lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! Looks like you are doing a good job keeping your stitches even. Very fun little brooch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have very good symmetrical drops and I think it's a great sign if you can't tell the front from the back:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha love the last part, so funny. Your FMQ isn't that bad! That's the fun of it, right?! Scribbling on fabric is fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness it looks great! I love the little random doodle that appears :) You're totally on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like your sideways bits, they make it more fun!

    And your drops look like drops, with a nice round end and a pointy end too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Collette! I think your free hand embroidery looks fab! I'd love to do anything near that good! I look at my sewing machine with the same fear that I look at a maths. Muddled, confusing I cant cope!! Which is sad as I really want to be able to sew! Thanks for your msg on my blog btw. YES life just is too busy sometimes!! I'm glad you understand :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!