Saturday, 3 March 2012

productivity

Hi there!  Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.  My productivity reappeared yesterday morning while Emma was at nursery.  I wanted to try some quilt blocks from the quilt program I have to practise some of the more traditional blocks.

First up is this pictorial block - a tulip!  I am going to handquilt this 8 x 8 inch block and bind in the yellow.  I am going to be elaborate with the handquilting and make this one block into a little piece of Spring art, hopefully!


Next up a few blocks for my very traditional, civil war fabric style wall sampler for my home!  I have a Jacob's Ladder block so far.  So using my quilt program I chose a shoo fly ( never done this) and a bear's paw block next .  I really want to be good at the basics of quilting and say that I can do these more traditional blocks before I get back to more modern blocks etc.  

I am delighted with how these blocks turned out!  The shoo fly was straightforward enough but the Bear's paw was fiddly with lots of small pieces.  It was well worth the time and effort though because I totally love it!  The possibilities are endless with these types of blocks and the versatility of them immense.  They can form many, many different patterns of quilts.

I must say the quilt program instructions are amazingly clear and measurements exact.  I have used tutorials in the past ( no names) where incorrect measurements have been given resulting in lots of jiggery pokery to sort a block out.

Anyway hope you like what I have been up to !
x

4 comments:

  1. The sampler blocks are lovely! Love the prints.
    Your sampler quilt will be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are coming together beautifully C! Looking forward to seeing more! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are wonderful - I love the tulip especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the yellow on the tulip. The bears claw looks awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!