Saturday, 16 June 2012

handquilting

Happy Saturday!  It is wet and miserable here today and I have been trying to keep on top of the laundry to no avail :(  However, chores done, cup of tea and kids occupied so time to catch up on the computer.

I spent most of yesterday (while Emma played) hand quilting this little mini I have made for myself.




I am never very sure of my hand quilting to be honest.  I see a lot of modern quilters do quite chunky stitching which I love the look of but I also really enjoy getting small stitches like in the little stars on the border.  I taught myself via some online tutorials and use the rocking method which is traditional.  I love the look of it and, yes, time consuming but worth it for the cute look! 

I have also pieced the start of my wonky stars table runner but think I may need a border.  I was thinking maybe pieced squares of all the fabric featured or plain I am not sure.  Any thoughts???

I love the dramatic look of this and reckon I will be machine quilting to echo the stars maybe! 


Have a lovely weekend everyone!
Collette x

6 comments:

  1. Your handquilting looks lovely! It's all a matter of personla taste about these things - go with what you like best and who knows, maybe one day you'll feel like trying another way just for the experience. Your wonky stars look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your handquilting. I learned the traditional way but think I went for the perle because I like the impact and the speed. But small stitches can be just as amazing so be proud of what you are doing. And I would go for a scrappy border on the stars runner. But once again that is me - I love scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with hand quilting. I have been doing it all afternoon and noticed that my teeth were gritted! Obviously not my favourite pastime. I didn't use perle and wish that I had. Yours is so even and neat. I like both your projects. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the runner and your handstitching looks fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hand stitching is awesome! I just make sure I have a large needle. I'm not sure my method is correct, but it works for me.
    A scrappy border for sure! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would go with a patterned or scrappy border on your TR. Looks great so far. Jxo

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!