Friday, 13 July 2012

Foggy Friday !

Hello all!  This Friday my head is very foggy.  I woke up at 4am for no reason at all and had great trouble getting back to sleep.  :(

However, my day brightened when I received this through the post -


It looks great and I can't wait to get a good look at it when the kids decide to give me some space!

Last night I made a very small start on my retro flowers quilt.  At least I think I am going to make it a quilt all for me or failing that some cushions!! Love the idea of a quilt all for myself! 

This is only one petal and not fully sewn together. 

I am doing this old skool style!  You can buy acrylic templates and curved piecing feet but I need to be frugal during these hard economic times so I am using cardboard templates, fabric scissors for cutting ( carefully) and I am handpiecing the curves then I will use the machine for the rest of the piecing. 

Yes you heard hand piecing.  Am I mad??? Probably but I have been doing so much handwork lately I feel v comfortable doing them this way and I was inspired by this tutorial by Katie at There and Back to give it a go. I am really happy with how the curves have turned out!   They were pretty quick to do as well! 

Have a lovely weekend everyone! x

13 comments:

  1. I am becoming a hand piecing convert so I know where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hand sewing has paid off as your petal is looking good. You will enjoy the book too as it has lots of inspiring blocks and projects. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy reading, the book is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the start to your retro flowers - enjoy the hand-piecing (I find it quite therapeutic actually).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book looks very exciting and your petal is lovely. It'll be nice to have a quilt for you that you've loved sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just happy for you that you are enjoying doing the the flowers. Your first is made of lovely colors - no wonder you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hand piecing can be surprisingly quick.
    You make it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a lot to be said for hand piecing. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on hand stitching. It can be very relaxing =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your hand stitching! and your retro flowers should come on a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hellooooooo finally found your blog and am following along. Looking forward to being hipbees together x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the petals On ur flowers! Nice to be working on something to use for urself x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so want that book!! Hand stitching???!!! Totally crazy ;) x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!