Monday, 14 October 2013

A finish! Yes you heard it right!

Last night I finished binding this mini quilt.  This quilt was a little journey for me.  Those of you who have read my blog for a while now will know that I adore English Paper Piecing.  So I decided to EPP a dresden plate in some of the solid colours I had in my fabric stash.  I really begun with no real plan other than to make a dresden plate.





As you can see this developed into embroidering some purple seed stitches in the centre.  I was originally going to add a fabric circle but it didn't look right.  ( There I go changing my mind again!).  
This moved on to hand quilting each petal in the same colour of thread.  It produced this cool rippled, Kantha stitch style effect which I love.  

That left me with a blank background which was screaming out for, yes, more hand quilting, Kantha style!   


This wall hanging is by no means perfectly stitched.  That wasn't the point.  The point of it all is because of my love for hand work.  I love my sewing machine don't get me wrong and wouldn't be without it.

BUT it may sound bizarre but I love the connection with the past that handwork brings.  When I sit and do English paper piecing or hand quilting or embroidery I can't help but think of all the women and men in the past who have done the same.  Those who had to out of necessity, who did so for a livelihood, for pleasure and practicality. 

So think of it as a kind of tribute to all things hand stitched! 







9 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Booooootiful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just lovely Collette. I wouldn't have the patience to do that. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it in IG, and love it here too. The hand quilting finishes it perfectly. Love the texture it gives the mini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With you all the way Collette! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful tribute to ageless hand crafts! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so pretty and yet perfectly modern with the solids. Nice job, missus. And I totally agree about the connection to the past with handwork - I get that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fabulous. And yes you're right hand sewing does give us a wonderful connection with the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Dresden is so pretty! So satisfying too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!
    I need a new hand-sewing project, I hate not having one on the go!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!