Friday, 25 October 2013

The Blogger's Quilt Festival

Here is my first ever entry for Blogger's Quilt Festival hosted by Amy's Creative Side.

WALL HANGING CATEGORY


This wall hanging is a tribute to all things hand pieced, hand quilted and embroidered.  I used English Paper piecing to piece the dresden plate in bright Kona solids.

I then decided to fill the centre of the petals with a purple seed embroidery stitch.  This was done during the summer in my garden!   I then hand appliqued the dresden onto a crisp white cotton background.



This wall hanging just evolved as I went along and was asking for some perle cotton hand quilting next.  I chose colours to blend with the petals and used a large Kantha style hand quilting stitch to add that wonderful textured look.
 
18.5 x 18.5 inches


The background again asked for hand quilting so I obliged by adding straight(ish!) lined Kantha style quilting which took a while but was so worth it.  Anyone that knows me knows how much I love hand quilting and english paper piecing and how very relaxing I find it. 

I bound with a delicate green floral print binding which echoes the dresden !

So there you have it!  My tribute in wall hanging form to all the types of handwork I love and am passionate about.  It will hang proudly in my living room wall.

I am really enjoying seeing all the inspirational work shared in Blogger's Quilt Festival.  It is such fun to see what everyone has made and to share in this way too.  Thank you to Amy for an awesome festival and for taking the trouble to host it and organise generous sponsors!

Please do take a look at all the categories as there is some amazing work there.

And if you are visiting from the Festival well hello and welcome!!! I am so pleased to meet you! x
Collette 


AmysCreativeSide

12 comments:

  1. Perfect choice for the festival. That hand quilting just makes this so much more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful Collette! I'm in love with all that hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work collette! I love dresdens and your hand quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's so pretty!! How have I not seen this in person???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your hand quilting on this great dresdan quilt. It adds such a beautiful texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so pretty! I love all the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for your first entry - you have achieved some beautiful texture in your little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant piece of work, well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous, Collette. The dresden is beautiful in those solids and all that hand stitching gives the most lovely texture :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!