Thursday, 27 March 2014

sharing and caring

Hello! A quick pop in today to show you all what has been going on here in sunny Ayrshire!

I am working on some more needleturn applique for Green Tea and Sweet Beans.


 One of the lovely ladies in my morning class bought me some of this beautiful fabric.  She used it in her gorgeous table runner she made and I had been eyeing it up for weeks saying how lovely it is!  I will be taking some of my stash in for her to pick something from!

 And speaking of table runners - here are some of the ones the ladies in my morning class finished.  They are beautiful and all different and they are a very talented bunch!

I am proud as punch and can't wait to show you what the afternoon class have been making soon!
Collette x
p.s. I wanted to ask my readers another little question about hand sewing -  who taught you?  Self, mum, gran, Auntie, dad, or school?  I am self taught essentially and am curious to know how other people learned their various hand sewing techniques from applique to embroidery to hand quilting!
Thanks
Collette x

5 comments:

  1. I'm basically self taught too. I had a neighbour when I was very little who showed me a little bit of embroidery but my mum was useless at sewing and there were no other female family members near where we lived. Not sure where I got this gene from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learnt the basics from my Mum but I'm a fairly terrible student so the rest has been all my own work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your class are doing great stuff! I was taught a little basic embroidery at school but thereafter am mainly self-taught from books. I did a needle turn appliqué workshop with Mandy at FQR last year and that was really helpful - just wish I had more time to practice it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The finished pieces from your class are gorgeous - same pattern but different interpretations - which is kind of what I've just blogged about, so am glad to see it here too. I sew a little bit, and what I know came from my mum who always made all our clothes. She didn't quilt though, and that's what I want to learn to do one day! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see more GTSB blocks! I think I'm mainly self-taught for hand sewing - me and my mam did quite a bit of cross stitch when I was younger but we learnt together rather than her teaching me. I'm completely self-taught when it comes to hand piecing and embroidery but took a day class (with Sandie Lush) to learn how to hand quilt with a hoop and two thimbles (I was quilting without a hoop but my hands/wrists couldn't take the strain so it was either learn a different technique or give up hand quilting. And probably, eventually, all hand stitching.).

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!