Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Work in progress Wednesday.......

Hello all!  What a week we have had here in bonnie Scotland!  Politics galore.  I have never been so grateful for the escapism of my sewing!

I have been working on a some secret projects over the last few weeks.  Let's just say they involve English paper piecing and juicy orange fabrics.




Two weeks ago in my afternoon class, one of my ladies decided to try out something on her new Pfaff machine.  By using invisible thread and a cotton thread she could stitch a stitch that looked hand quilted.

What do you think?  I though it looked quite realistic although you can see the invisible thread if you look really, really close up.  However, I don't know how I feel about it?

As you know I love to hand quilt and I would probably just go ahead and hand quilt rather than muck about with my machine settings for this.  Maybe I am just odd?  What do you think?  Would you use this on your machine in a heartbeat or not at all?

Last but not least I treated myself to a lovely piece of original artwork by Sarah Terry.  I saw this ages ago on Instagram but having no money, found I was in no position to ask if it was available to purchase.  I just need to get the perfect frame for it now!  I have no idea what to use so any suggestions would be welcome.



Thanks for joining me for WIP (work in progress Wednesday) linking up with Freshly Pieced.

Collette x

http://www.freshlypieced.com/




8 comments:

  1. Orange is always good! :-)
    I think I wouldn't bother with the machine stitch. But I am a hand quilting nerd and other than piecing I don't like to spend too much time in front of the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Collette, I see you are a fellow epp quilter! Your fabrics are looking great.
    I have read about using another brand of machine for imitation hand quilting too, using a similar method. I wouldn't use it personally as I am inclined to look closely at work and would notice the invisible thread, feeling very much like an imitation only. Like you, I think a little (or a lot) hand quilting adds something special to many a quilt.

    I have also seen a blog post regarding a special (and expensive) machine which produces stitching looking like hand quilting on the top, without using invisible thread. However on the reverse side it appears as regular straight stitching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that for people who love the look of hand quilting but either can't do it or don't enjoy it then that machine technique could be quite useful. But as someone like you who quite likes a wee hand stitch then, no, it's not something I personally would do!

    P.S. Yeah. Quite the week! It will be messy for a while yet, I predict. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have that on my small Pfaff, never used it! Must look into it again. I usually Free motion stipple these days and I'm trying to learn flowers! Not that much of a hand quilter but I have 2 projects I intend to try it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those orange hexies look adorable. The stitch look almost hand-quilted. Is the invisible thread still soft? I wouldn't want to use something plasticky or scratchy just to go faster. Hand quilting is beautiful partly because of the care and intention behind it, y'know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving your orange xx I think if she is happy with it .. then fine .. I would rather just take my time and quilt by hand x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in New Zealand, we have just had our elections - so over political news at present. Your hexies are looking great - love the look just don't have the patience myself. Looking forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the hand stitch look on my last machine and quite probably on my current one but never inclined to use it, I am not fond of using invisible thread but each to their own.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!