Friday, 20 February 2015

the nightmare of fudge...

Fudge??? Do you ever fudge?   I love to eat it but am not so happy when I have a few blocks that I have to fiddle around with and fudge to get looking right!





In my head I hear the Quilt Police,   "Measure twice, cut once", "tut, tut fudging is bad" and such like.  But sometimes it is all you can do (other than making a brand new block).  Sometimes the fabric has ran out, or you only have that one little piece left and there is no other option but to fudge!


Don't get me wrong, I know the evil of the fudge.  You really don't want to be messing about with every single block in a quilt or it will knock the whole size and arrangement off.  I certainly teach my ladies in my class about how to avoid fudging!  However, sometimes only a fudge will do?

Am I alone?  Do others do this?? Is this just my quilty little secret? I swear it seldom happens, honest! Do you have any other quilty secrets of things the imaginary Quilt Police would "tut tut" loudly at?  Come on it's truth time!  Lets be honest quilters who strive for excellent workmanship but who are not afraid to admit mistakes and weaknesses!  Sometimes the interwebs and magazines can give the impression that everything we make and do is awesome and perfect.  Well it's not and guess what?  Neither should it be because it's handmade!


Please share!  It will make me feel better for any fudging that goes on in future.

Bad Cat!
Collette x

3 comments:

  1. I try not to HAVE to fudge, but sometimes it just happens. And then there are the quilts who make sure it will happen! I just had a quilt top that the quilt police would be having fits over but I made it all work anyway: (http://quiltyfolk.blogspot.com/2015/02/oh-my-this-tree-of-life-of-mine.html)! I think it's those quilts that keep us humble.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. News Flash: everyone fudges. Apart from the control freaks or the liars. But lets not go there. :-) I try not to fudge with blocks I'm making for other people. But like you say if you run out of fabric or accidentally slip with a rotary cutter you have to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure there is someone out there who has magic fabric that never stretches, and who never slips up with matching points... I am just not convinced they can get through doors when their halo is as wide as that! They also never run out of bobbin thread 3 cm from the end of a seam... but knowing how and when and how much to fudge- now that is an art form all of it's own!

    and the fabric will mostly forgive you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!