Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Oakshott Blog Hop!


Spicy

 Today I finally get to share with you the quilt I made for Oakshott fabrics on the Oakshott Bloghop!  Lynne from Lily's Quilts sent me this gorgeous pack of 10 inch Colourshott squares and 2 yards of a sumptuous dark grey Oakshott. ( Colourshott COTX29 Charcoal).

When the fabric arrived the colours really gave me the impression of a Moroccan market full of spices and bright colours stacked high.  So I had a rummage on Pinterest and found delightful images of Moroccan and Indian markets full of these pyramid shaped powders and spices.  Hence my "Spicy" quilt!

So would you like to know how to make this scrummy quilt?  Allow me to share how I went about using this beautiful Colourshott stack!
Finished size; 36.5 inches x 55.5inches (a baby quilt)  A quarter inch seam allowance is used throughout this project.

Fabric Requirements;
One Oakshott Colourshott stack
2 Yards grey Oakshott (background fabric)
Quilt batting  (enough to overlap the quilt top by at least 4 inches)
Backing fabric(enough to overlap the quilt top by at least 4 inches)
Binding fabric ( do not cut till finished quilt top and measure perimeter of trimmed and quilted top plus 10 inches extra for required binding).

There are a few ways to cut your 60 degree triangles for this pattern.  I used a template(seam allowance has been added ), which you can download and print here.(please download the template and open with a pdf viewer to print at 100% for the correct scale).    You can also use a 60 degree triangle ruler.  The finished triangle size is 4 inches tall.  The smaller triangles in the bottom row are 3  inches tall finished. (I printed out my template again but removed the large seam allowance to leave me with the required smaller triangle inclusive of seam allowance).
In this tutorial I am assuming you know how to piece 60 degree triangles. If you are not sure then check out the numerous, excellent tutorials on how this is done!


1. Cutting;
a) Using your template or triangle ruler cut the following from the background yardage;
   102 large dark grey triangles
    30 small dark grey triangles

b) From your Colourshott stack ;
    102 assorted coloured triangles ( I got 3 triangles per 10 inch square of fabric)
    11 small coloured triangles

2)  Assembly of first 12 rows;
I joined my large triangles in alternate sets of twos.  Then I joined the pairs into fours until I had a row of 17 triangles.







Do this for each row of large triangles following the layout in the picture below.  I sewed one row at a time to ensure I had the direction of my triangles correct and the alternate rows correct too.
Do this until you have 12 rows of 17 alternate coloured triangles.


3) Assembly of last 2 rows composed of small triangles;
I encourage you to play around with layout here.  This is like the little improv part of this quilt!  I basically cut out 11 smaller triangles using my small template and 30 small grey triangles and sewed two rows together with a random layout.  Don't worry about the little triangles matching up too much with the large triangles here as it is meant to look random and will be quilted over.


4) Join each row to the next and pressing long joining seams open as you go.  Pay close attention to where the points meet.

Then you can baste, quilt and bind as desired!  I chose a dark grey Aurifil 50wt thread to create a grid like pattern on the quilt.  The Oakshott fabrics are so shimmery and colourful so I wanted to show them off !  The fabrics are a dream to work with and very stable and just beautiful to look at. 

Please join the other wonderful ladies (schedule here) who have also created some fantastic tutorials out of The Oakshott colourshott stacks!  I hope you have enjoyed my little tutorial!






12 comments:

  1. Beautiful Colette! Lovely to see everyone's different projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful use of these little wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you managed to get your triangles to match up so perfectly - no fudging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely colourful quilt. Thanks for sharing the inspiration behind your use of the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is lucious. I love anything with gray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab quilt Collette, love how you have mixed things up a bit at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all those colours!!! Your quilt is spectacular and thanks for the tute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to get to play with Oakshott fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!