Tuesday, 3 March 2015

In a creative rut? Then do this!

Do you ever get into a creative rut?  You begin to feel that you are becoming a little static in what you are creating?  Things become samey and you begin to feel a little bored with what you are doing?

Well I had been feeling a little like this recently so decided to shake things up a bit.  I had been pondering and deliberating over what to make for my UK Instagram mini quilt swap.  I had a few false starts and just couldn't seem to develop anything.

So guess what?  I threw the plans out the window and grabbed Quilt Improv off my book shelf by the inspirational Lu Summers.  I then grabbed a few bags of offcuts, scraps, large pieces and picked triangles.  Lu's book is so inspirational in that she encourages and urges you to go your own way.  She provides instruction but it isn't do this or die type instruction.  Is is very much play and have fun!

So I created this. I still have to bind but decided on matchstick quilting with Aurifil variegated thread and just love it!  Hoping my partner likes it too!


Sticking with the Improv vibe and thoroughly enjoying a bit of play, I approached this mini quilt for my lovely friend Debs in the same way.  I had no real plan and just let the fabrics lead me.  Obviously there are times when you really need a plan but this wasn't one of them.  ( Just wait until I show you what Debs  made me - saving that for a post all on it's own!).

The fabric is by Alison Glass from her Handcrafted line.  It is stunning fabric.  The colours are amazing, each print has it's own little, unique idiosyncrasies and is beautifully soft.  I felt that it deserved hand quilting because of the handmade nature of the fabric and the ethos behind the production of this line.  You can read more about Alison's inspiration here.

So today I urge you to try some Improv if you haven't before.  It is liberating, fun and just the ticket if you are feeling in a rut.  Put on some loud music, (if that's your thing) and relax and enjoy!  Feel free to share your results with me by using the hashtag #embraceimprov on Instagram if you use it. My username is poppypoochie!
Collette x


2 comments:

  1. The triangle improv is great, and the mini quilt is stunning! I love improv quilt making, it's so much like free play with favourite toys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel better after a bit of improv' I think it's because there is part of me that wants to stop quilting - for a bit and do more arty farty textile work with a variety of materials and stuff. (It's not like I don't have a stash of those kinds of things too!)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!