Friday, 13 May 2016

JFK, a sewing machine and hexagons

An odd combination I hear you say!  Well yes but they are all linked and I will explain how.

This past week has seen the most beautiful week of weather.  This has meant tidying the garden in between my usual schedule of sewing and classes.

I have managed to get some hand sewing on the go again.  I always like to have a little hand sewing project ready and waiting to pick up and lay down easily in between dealing with daily life and madness.

So on Monday evening I grabbed some free tiny hexagon paper templates I got with a magazine, and some of my favourite fabric, and just sat and cut, basted and sewed.  All very slow and all very soothing!


On Wednesday I was teaching in my local sewing shop.  The girls have been learning how to Quilt As you Go and the other group are delving deeper into foundation paper piecing to make their own sewing themed mini quilts.

This gorgeous machine was handed into the shop by an elderly gentleman.  It belonged to his late wife and he wondered if the shop could maybe sell it for him.
The machine is immaculate inside and out.  It is in full working order and stitches beautifully.  The original manual is with it too.  If anyone knows anymore about these machines then please get in touch.
We don't really know much about this machine other than that it was made in Australia and weighs a ton!  It had a date of purchase written on the back of the manual and it was the day after John F Kennedy was assassinated!  What a history eh?
So I think there may be a lady interested in this beautiful machine.  It deserves to go to a loving and caring home to continue the excellent maintenance it has had over the many years.

So there you are!  An interesting week in my little world and next week watch out for a little English Paper Piecing Tutorial from me.
Collette x


1 comment:

  1. What a interesting machine, it looks immaculate - makes you want to know its story doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!