Friday, 30 September 2016

I am a magpie who needs to focus

Do you ever feel like a magpie?  Flying around going about your business then you spot a shiny thing!  Oh yes, something shiny, new, different and you are distracted.  That shiny thing lies on top of a whole bunch of other things that are lovely but not very relevant but you are a magpie, so you must have them!  Before you know it your day is gone with a nice collection of shiny things but little actual work done.

I am a magpie.  The shiny things can be physical objects but are more often distractions.  You know the kind.  The wormhole that is the interwebs is the main offender.  " I will just check my blog and maybe write a quick post......" the voice in my head says.  10 minutes later I am watching GIFs of cats in space or involved in a heated online debate on pressing seams in quilts. (yeah right! - #sarcasm).  

So in light of the above, this magpie is trying her best to focus on focus this season.  Autumn is in full swing here in bonnie Scotland.  The leaves and trees are turning and the winds have picked up.  The big jaikets are oot!

I have so much on the go workwise.  It sometimes feels like a juggling act and add on our personal lives and you get the picture.  Anyone who follows my wee blog knows how quilting is my first love.  I recently rediscovered my love of drawing again.  From this followed some other discoveries.  I suppose I need to prioritise too.  I have paid work that must be done or we don't get a holiday that year.  However, I really do feel it essential that I make time for the other endeavours too.  As I mentioned in my #how to grow your creativity series, learning new things and exploring other creative techniques all feeds into my overall creativity.

This is were you come in!  I would love to hear in the comments section or on instagram ( remember to tag me @poppypoochie), how you stay focused.  What do you do to ensure as that you stay on task, looking at the bigger picture and not flying off with that shiny thing?
p.s. - Giveaway winner from creativity series was drawn by random number generator yesterday.  Number 4 is Lucy Brennan of Charm About You and has been notified.  Yay Lucy!
Collette x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!